Truth, beauty, and data + R and tidyverse
- The syllabus, content, lessons, examples, and assignments pages for this class
- Chapter 1 in Kieran Healy, Data Visualization1
- Chapters 2 and 3 in Alberto Cairo, The Truthful Art2 (skim the introduction and chapter 1)
- Study: Charts change hearts and minds better than words do
Questions to reflect on
- How do we know what is true?
- Are facts truth?
- Why do we visualize data?
- What makes a great visualization?
- How do you choose which kind of visualization to use?
The slides for today’s lesson are available online as an HTML file. Use the buttons below to open the slides either as an interactive website or as a static PDF (for printing or storing for later). You can also click in the slides below and navigate through them with your left and right arrow keys.
Fun fact: If you type ? (or shift + /) while going through the slides, you can see a list of special slide-specific commands.
Videos for each section of the lecture are available at this YouTube playlist.
- Facts, truth, and beauty
- Data, truth, and beauty
- Beautiful visualizations
- Class details
You can also watch the playlist (and skip around to different sections) here: