It looks like this is a lot of reading, but lots of these are short videos or tweets or interactive websites, so don’t worry!
- Why all world maps are wrong
- The True Size Of…
- Map projections
- Gall-Peters Projection
- “When Maps Lie”
- Animated Mercator distortion
- “These Twisted Maps Prove That America Isn’t a Red Country”
- “The next great fake news threat? Bot-designed maps”
- “New World Map That Accurately Shows Earth in 2D Created by Scientists”
Questions to reflect on
- How can you know if a map projection is truthful or misleading?
- What’s wrong (or not wrong) with using points on maps? Choropleths? Lines?
The slides for today’s lesson are available online as an HTML file. Use the buttons below to open the slides either as an interactive website or as a static PDF (for printing or storing for later). You can also click in the slides below and navigate through them with your left and right arrow keys.
Fun fact: If you type ? (or shift + /) while going through the slides, you can see a list of special slide-specific commands.
Videos for each section of the lecture are available at this YouTube playlist.
You can also watch the playlist (and skip around to different sections) here: